Our Energy Services group has underwritten and closed in excess of $13B in utility-scale energy projects
Gas Fire Power Plants
- 150 MW (Texas Panhandle)
- 200 MW (Project located in both Texas and Oklahoma)\
- 300 MW (Texas Panhandle, 2 counties)
- 400 MW (Nebraska)
- 80 MW Wind Farm (South Texas, 3 counties)
- 100 MW (Oregon)
- 90 MW Wind Farm (South Texas)
- 120 MW (North Texas)
- 60 MW (North Texas)
- 250 MW (North Texas)
- 240 MW (West Texas)
- 108MW (Idaho)
- 100 MW (West Texas)
- 60 MW (2 sites - Hawaii Portfolio)
- 50 MW (West Texas)
- Several 1-5 MW sites (Massachusetts Portfolio)
- 5 MW (Puerto Rico)
- 2.3 MW (Wisconsin)
- 5 MW (Minnesota)
- 5 County Transmission/Substation Project. Total title insurance liability over $200 million.
- Plant located in Pennsylvania. Total title insurance liability approximately $1 billion.
- 1000 MW (Texas)
- 1,200 MW (Virginia)
- 2 Sites located in Arizona and Arkansas. Total title insurance liability approximately $1.75 billion.
We eliminate execution risk by providing stakeholders with the affirmative coverages and endorsements required to close, with no surprises.
We select underwriters based on client preference, project title-risk profile, geographic location and other factors. We leverage our underwriting relationships to secure the best value and terms for our clients.
We offer a tailored approach based upon your project needs and have the capacity to facilitate large-scale utility projects.
7 Proven Strategies To Ensure
A Smooth Transaction
We’ve seen, read or heard about the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to Energy-related transactions, click here to learn how Thomas Title & Escrow can help you enjoy only good ones.
Plus, receive a consultative call from one of our Energy specialists.
As an authorized title insurance agent for all of the major national underwriters, Thomas Title leverages these relationships to secure the best terms and value for its clients. We know each underwriter’s risk appetite concerning specific coverages across energy asset classes and geographic locations. In the unlikely event an underwriter’s requirements are unrealistic, we have the ability to move the project to another underwriter seamlessly, without losing any deal knowledge.
Yes, we have a team of attorneys, closers and title coordinators on staff that focus only on energy projects. Our energy group is a national single point of contact with the bandwidth to handle even the most demanding and complex projects.
Besides being one of the only national title insurance agencies with a dedicated energy services practice, Thomas Title takes a white glove approach to every transaction. Our priority is to eliminate execution risk by providing stakeholders with the affirmative coverages and endorsements required to close, with no surprises.
Our Energy Group is based in Houston. Please give us a call at 713-438-2543 or email Mskalka@Thomastitle.com
Typically we would need the name of the landowner and the legal description. If a legal description is unavailable please provide the property identification number shown in the local tax records. Please also provide any vesting deeds or prior title work already in your possession.
- Client services? Professional, responsive, dedicated and creative.
- Timelines? Timing is dependent on the location and size of the project. We will provide an estimated turnaround time once the order is opened and will follow up frequently to make sure deadlines are met.
- Costs - As we have the ability to leverage our underwriting relationships, we can secure the best value for our clients.
- Communication? Our team of attorneys, title coordinators and escrow officers are ready to facilitate even the largest and most complicated transactions. We keep our clients informed every step of the way to ensure deadlines are met.
Site Control Due Diligence/Title Commitments:
Title commitments ordered
- Length of search period based on geographical location and type of project. (e.g. patent/sovereignty search)
Thomas reviews site control documents (e.g. Lease, Easement, Deed) for insurability along with legal descriptions, recordability, proper landowner, landowner warranties).
- Thomas and client work together on curative matters, which may include:
SNDAs (Mortgages, Deeds of Trust, Agricultural Leases)
Review of landowner entity documents (Trusts, LLCs etc.)
Minerals: Review of Mineral Ownership Report, surface waivers, accommodation agreements.
- Thomas complies all title commitments into a working pro forma. i. Thomas complies all title commitments into a working pro forma.
Review easements for restrictive/exclusive language
- Legal descriptions
- Site Layout
Tie coverages to pre-construction survey
Minerals - Drill site windows if necessary
- Being seasoned in these deals, Thomas appreciates and anticipates the endorsements and coverages that developers, lenders and equity providers will require and therefore all projects are underwritten with these endorsements/coverages in mind (e.g. enforced removal, mineral coverage, non-imputation etc.)
- We are experienced with appropriate coverages for construction lenders, hedge providers, tax equity.
Mechanic’s Lien Coverage (if available) and appropriate documents supplied.
- Closing Documents:
- Recording of any closing documents